NMIT New Zealand – MEC3 (Class 4 CoC)
NMIT (Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology), Nelson, New Zealand.
New Zealand Diploma in Marine Engineering Level 6 (MEC3).
The MEC3 course is same as the Indian Class 4 or the Singapore Class 5 or the UK EOOW course. Only terminologies differ in different countries.
Nelson Campus – 322 Hardy Street, Nelson 7010, New Zealand.
Course Start Dates:
▪ 19 February 2024.
▪ 5 August 2024
There are 2 intakes every year.
Ideally, you should enroll 3 months before the course start date so that you have sufficient time for doing your IELTS / PTE Academic English language test, arrange funds for the NZ student visa and apply for your New Zealand student visa as well.
8 months of full-time study in New Zealand.
▪ For Degree / Diploma Engineering students (only Mechanical / Marine engineering are acceptable) – Sea service of 12 months, including at least 6 months experience in E/R watchkeeping under supervision of C/E or qualified engineer officer. Students who hold a BE Mechanical / Marine, Diploma Mechanical / Marine, GME, DME, HND (UK), etc., qualifications along with the requisite sea service may be eligible in this category.
It is advisable to have your MNZ pre-assessment done before you proceed to NZ for the MEC3 course. MNZ pre-assessment procedure is free of cost and processing time is 6 weeks.
▪ For seafarers who do not have a Degree / Diploma in Mechanical / Marine Engineering – You need to have 36 months of sea service including at least 6 months of experience in E/R watchkeeping under the supervision of the C/E or qualified Engineer Officer. Wipers, Oiler/Motorman, Fitters, etc., who do not have any formal academic training qualifications may become eligible in this category. It is advisable (but not mandatory) to get your MNZ pre-assessment done before proceeding to New Zealand.
▪ Electrical Officers having 36 months of sea service (with C/E testimonials) and having completed the ISF Training Record Book over a 6-month period would also likely be eligible for doing the MEC3 course in New Zealand. A degree or diploma in Electrical Engineering is not a requirement for EO’s /ETO’s whilst following the 36 months route to MEC3 CoC. It is advisable but not mandatory to get your MNZ pre-assessment done before you travel to NZ for the MEC3 course.
The following are the approved TRB’s in New Zealand:
▶ ISF TRB
▶ DG Shipping, India TRB
▶ MNTB TRB, UK.
The sea going service must have been on commercial vessels with engines of 750 KW or more, operating outside restricted limits. At least 6 months must have served as an engineering watchkeeper under the supervision of an engineer officer.
The MEC3 certificate is valid for 5 years.
If you have not sailed on ships with auxiliary steam boilers and steam systems, your MEC3 CoC in motor propulsion will be endorsed with the limitation:
“Not valid for use on ships fitted with boilers and associated auxiliaries and steam systems”.
Maritime New Zealand contact details are as given below:
Tel: +65 4 473 0111
If a candidate for the MEC3 course has not satisfactorily completed the ISf TRB, they have not met the pre-requisites and are therefore ineligible to undertake the MNZ oral exams.
ISF Training Record Book (TRB)
We keep stock of the ISF TRB at our office in Mumbai. The costing is as given below for purchase of the same:
▪ ISF TRB – INR 4,500
▪ Pen drive with study material (optional) – INR 500
▪ Blue Dart courier charges – INR 500
You can make the payment by GPay (UPI) which is linked to our mobile number: 9892725375
Blue Dart will deliver within 48 hours to any location in India if that pin code is serviced by Blue Dart.
Sea Time Documents:
▪ CDC sea service stamps.
▪ C/E testimonials for minimum of 36 months for Engine Ratings and Electrical Officers. For BE / Diploma in Mechanical / Marine Eng. students, a minimum of 12 months of C/E testimonials.
If you are unsure of your sea time being accepted by Maritime New Zealand (MNZ), it is always advisable to apply for a Maritime New Zealand (MNZ) pre-assessment before travelling to New Zealand. The MNZ pre-assessment procedure is free of cost and processing time is 6 weeks. You need to send documents by email only for MNZ pre-assessment. The MNZ pre-assessment procedure is explained on our website www.ukcoc.in
You need to clear IELTS Academic or PTE Academic English test before you can apply for the New Zealand student visa.
IELTS Academic score required is 6 band overall with no sectional score below 5.5. If you score an overall 6 or more but score 5 or below in any one or more section, then you will need to repeat the full IELTS Academic test again by paying the full fees again.
The PTE Academic score required is 50 overall with no sectional score below 42.
IELTS is not required for booking a seat in the college. It will however be required to get a visa letter (unconditional offer letter) from the college.
The fee for the English language test is 16,500 Rs.
STCW advanced courses and other ancillary courses:
Your STCW basic courses (PST + PSSR + FPFF + EFA) from DG Shipping, India is accepted by Maritime New Zealand (MNZ).
The following STCW advanced courses as mentioned below are included in the course tuition fees:
Kindly DO NOT do the above courses outside of NMIT main academic course as you will not be eligible for any reduction in tuition fees leading to loss of money to you.
Please WhatsApp or email the following documents to us for seat booking:
▪ NMIT course booking form. See the PDF file at the end of this page.
▪ Passport first page and address page.
▪ CDC 1st page and sea service stamped pages.
▪ STCW basic courses – PST + PSSR + FPFF + EFA.
▪ Diploma / Degree in Mechanical / Marine Engineering – Degree passing certificate and transcript / semester mark-sheets.
▪ ISF TRB and project book as 2 separate PDF files.
▪ Highest academic qualification certificate and marksheet (for e.g., Class X or Class XII for students who do not hold a Diploma or Degree in Mechanical or Marine Engineering).
▪ MNZ pre-assessment letter (if you have). Not compulsory for everybody but the college may insist on it if they feel unsure of your sea time documents.
Take B&W printout of the first 4 pages of the PDF file attachment which is the college application form Please fill it up by pen and email / WhatsApp to me as clear scanned copies. A sample filled up form is there in the PDF to help you fill your application form. You can submit a digitally filled up NMIT course booking form also.
A sample filled up ISF TRB and project-book is at the end of this page which you can use as a reference whilst filling up your ISF TRB and project-book.
Kindly email or WhatsApp the above documents as PDF files. You can download the free CAMSCANNER APP on your smartphone to make these PDF files.
The conditional offer letter will come by email in about 3 weeks’ time after submission of all documents to the college.
There is no payment to be made to the college for getting your admission letter from the college.
This includes your STCW advanced courses. It however does not include TANKER COURSES which you can do from India itself from BP Marine, Mumbai or HIMT, Chennai which offer the MCA, UK approved tanker courses. DG Shipping, India tanker courses are not accepted by Maritime New Zealand (MNZ).
The NMIT course tuition fee must be paid in full after receiving your conditional visa from Immigration New Zealand (INZ). On submitting the tuition fees payment acknowledgement receipt from the college to the visa office by email, you get the unconditional visa by email from Immigration New Zealand (INZ). The tuition fees in full are transferred from your bank account directly to the college electronically and is called wire transfer.
There are no scholarships or installment facilities available and the full academic course tuition fees must be paid before you can get your final unconditional visa.
The length of visa that you get is 8 months.
Students stay off campus in Nelson. We will give you telephone number of some landlords whom you can get in touch with. Expected monthly expense for food and accommodation will be around NZ$ 1,000 per month on a conservative budget when living in a shared house in Nelson. A typical house will have 4 rooms and each student will have one room for himself. The washroom and kitchen are shared amenities. Students buy the groceries, cook food at home and divide the cost amongst themselves. NMIT does not have any hostel facilities and students are responsible for arranging their own accommodation.
Part Time Work:
You can work 20 hours per week during term-time and full-time during vacations like Christmas.
The minimum pay in New Zealand is NZ$ 22.70 per hour. By working part-time at the minimum wage in NZ, you can earn up to NZ$ 1,800 per month which will offset the money you spend every month on your living expenses. In difficult times like Covid , recession, etc., part-time work may dry up and hence you should have your own funds rather than relying on part-time work for your sustenance in New Zealand.
Students work part-time in Mc Donalds, KFC, pizza delivery shops, food takeaway shops, departmental stores as cashiers / helpers, security guards, etc.
Here we will calculate the total expenses over 8 months stay in Nelson, New Zealand.
▪ Tuition Fees: NZ$ 25,904
▪ Flight Ticket: NZ$ 2,500
▪ Visa Fees: NZ$ 430
▪ Living Expenses for 8 months @ NZ$ 1,000 per month = NZ$ 8,000
▪ MNZ fees: NZ$ 1,000
▪ Miscellaneous: NZ$ 1,000
Total: NZ$ 38,834
(Approx INR 19.40 Lakhs @ 1Nz$ = INR 50)
By working part-time 20 hours per week, you earn NZ$ 1,800 per month. Assuming you worked part-time for 7 months, you earned: NZ$ 12,600.
So net expense = NZ$ (38,834 – 12,600) = NZ$ 26,234 (approx. 13.10 Lakhs INR).
If you are working on tankers and need to get a tanker DCE, add an extra NZ$ 1,000 i.e., INR 50,000 for the tanker course and MNZ fees for endorsement on your CoC.
▪ We will assist you with the visa procedure.
▪ As the visa procedure is totally online now, we can assist you even if you are residing in other countries for e.g., Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Burma, Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya, etc.
▪ The visa processing time is 4 – 6 weeks. At times it can take longer also if the rush at the visa office is longer or some visa offices shut down due to Covid, floods, strikes / riots, etc.
▪ NMIT Nelson will issue the unconditional offer letter (visa letter) after you have submitted the IELTS (or PTE) Academic test result. There are no tuition fees to be paid to the college to get the visa letter.
▪ The total funds to be shown for the NZ student visa is as given below:
➡ Tuition Fees: NZ$25,904
➡ Living expenses for 8 months: NZ$ 13,500
➡ Flight Travel Expense: NZ$ 2,000
➡ Visa Fees: NZ$ 430
Total of NZ$ 41,834. This is approximately 20.91 Lakhs INR if NZ$ = 50 INR.
▪ The funds can be shown by your parents, your spouse, your in-laws (parents) and your own brother / sister. Your Uncle / Aunt / Relatives / Friends, etc., cannot show the money on your behalf.
▪ You can show money as cash savings in bank account from salary, fixed deposits > 6 months old, educational loan / personal loan or a mix of the above.
▪ If you are taking a gold loan or selling property / car, showing agricultural income, then the funds must be kept for a minimum of 6 months before they can be shown for the NZ visa. The reason being that it is difficult for Immigration New Zealand to verify the authenticity of these income and hence you will be asked to keep this money for 6 months in your bank account before you can show for the NZ student visa. Still, the visa officer may not accept the 6 months old money if they are not convinced of the source of this money.
▪ If you have funds but are not able to show the documentary evidence of the source of this money, there is a FUND TRANSFER SCHEME for NZ visa, wherein you can inform the visa officer in the online visa application form that you will transfer the full living expenses to a New Zealand bank account before being offered an unconditional visa. It is however up to the visa officer to decide if they grant you the FTS option or not.
▪ We do assist students from India in processing of educational loan / personal loan. Although loans are never guaranteed we do get loans processed for 70% of our applicants. Normally, visa success rate is higher with educational loans as these can be easily verified with the bank rather than taking gold loan / sale or property and keeping funds for 6 months in the bank account.
▪ You must do a NZ visa approved medical. We will guide you with that procedure.
▪ We will send you a sample filled up visa form so that you can use that as a reference to fill up your online visa application form. We will then login to your online account to check the visa form that you have filled. Then you will upload all the necessary documents online. We will ask you to send PDF files of all documents to be uploaded on the visa website to us on WhatsApp to check before you upload the documents. After uploading the documents, you will pay the NZ student visa fees of NZ$ 430 using your debit / credit card. It will take up to 4 hours to complete the online visa form, upload all the documents and pay the visa fees. All of this can be done from the comfort of your home as the procedure is totally online. Only for the NZ visa medical do you have to move out of your house. The visa submission rules may however vary from country to country.
The visa procedure is simple. The problem that students usually face is in arranging the show money for NZ student visa as you cannot show borrowed money from friends / relatives. Also unaccounted money must be kept for 6 months, or you have to opt for the Funds Transfer Scheme (FTS). Even then it is up to the visa officer to accept or not accept your funds in such a situation.
If applying for an educational loan / personal loan, do contact us soon after signing off from the ship. The longer you stay at home after signing off, the more difficult it becomes to avail yourself of a loan from the bank.
529, Mastermind 4,
Royal Palms, Aarey Colony,
Goregaon E, Mumbai – 400 065
We are directly appointed by NMIT, Nelson, NZ to look after admissions and student visas.
WE DO NOT HAVE ANY SERVICE CHARGE.
Study Abroad Options
We also assist with all Non-Marine post-graduation & undergraduate Courses admissions and visas in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, Canada, and the USA.
All of our services are free of cost to the students.
For Non Marine Courses :
Call: +91 - 93077 48598.
For all Marine Courses :
Call : +91 98927 25375
Note: To reach our office, take autorickshaw from Goregaon (E) station. It will cost you about 70 Rs/- and the distance is 3.0 kms from station. It should take you about 20 minutes to reach our office in normal traffic conditions from the station. Alternatively, take Bus No. 452 from Goregaon (E) station and get down at the last bus stop i.e. Mayur Nagar. The office is about 10 minutes walk from the Mayur Nagar bus stop. If you are coming from Powai direction, it will take you about 30 minutes to reach our office by auto rickshaw and the fare will be about 150 Rs approximately.